Internship/Externship Program for Distinguished Law Students
The Fifth District Court of Appeal Internship/Externship Program is open to qualified law students from accredited law schools. Internships are available for the fall, spring, and summer semesters. The intern will function as a law clerk for a judge, a central staff attorney working for all of the judges, or as a law clerk working for the Clerk of Court and motions clerk. Duties will include conducting legal research and preparing memoranda on pending cases. The intern will have the opportunity to attend oral argument, discuss cases with staff attorneys and the assigned judge, and assist in the drafting of opinions. The intern will be awarded a certificate of appreciation upon successful completion of the program.
- Acceptance into participating law school's extern program or as an independent internship
- Second or third-year student
- Outstanding academic record (generally top 25%)
- Exceptional research and writing skills
- Completion of Civil Procedure, Evidence and Criminal Procedure recommended
- Satisfactory background check
Interested law students may apply through their law school extern program if receiving school credit, or directly with the Court. If applying directly, please email Justine Sierzega, Deputy Marshal, at Sierzegaj@flcourts.org and attach: (i) intern application (ii) cover letter, (iii) resume, (iv) undergraduate and law school transcript, and (v) writing sample.